Cats are known for so many things, and those range from being particular to aloof. Felines the world over often have a reputation for not being as warm and fuzzy as dogs Sometimes, cats just want to be alone. Of course, those traits are not always true. Ask any cat lover, and they’ll tell you all about their adorable feline who loves to play or snuggle. And, just like with any animal, cats have individual personalities.
There are things cats do that are pretty common such as that they purr, they knead, sleep a lot, love boxes, and many love catnip, too.
So, what about things we don’t know about cats that might be a little surprising and amusing. According to the article, “5 Facts About Cats You (Probably) Never Knew” at PetMD.com, cats are talkative because of “their ability to make over 100 different sounds. Dogs, on the other hand, can make only 10 different vocalizations.”
Let’s talk some history: Did you know that Julius Caesar and Napoleon were not fans of felines? In fact, they were scared of cats. On the other hand, President Abraham Lincoln loved them so much “and had four cats during his time as president,” the article said.
According to the article, “14 Cool and Interesting Facts About Cats That You May Not Know About,” at PetHelpful.com, more interesting cat facts include:
• Kittens lose their baby teeth.
• One cat’s ear has 32 muscles! “A cat can rotate its ears 180 degrees and can turn in the direction of sound 10 times faster than that of the best watchdog,” the PetHelpful article said.
• Just like a fingerprint, a cat’s nose pad “has a unique pattern,” according to PetHelpful.
• A cat’s deep purr can mean an indication of pain.
• As with dogs, cats can become very sick and even die after ingesting chocolate. So, it’s best to keep it away from your cats.
• A cat may rub against a person to show affection, but it’s also to leave his scent. “In a way, it’s so your cat can communicate to other felines where they have been and that you are essentially already claimed,” the PetHelpful article said.
• We’ve heard that cats have great eyesight, and as a general rule they do. “To see properly at night, a cat only needs one-sixth of the light that humans need,” the PetHelpful article said.
Some other cool facts about cats are just that, pretty cool. According to the article, “Animal Facts: Fun Cat Facts for Kids,” at ScienceKids.com, here are some cool facts:
• The association between cats and people is about 10,000 years old!
• A clowder is the term for a group of cats.
• “The heaviest domestic cat on record is 21.297 kilograms (46 lb 15.2 oz), the Science Kids article said.
Even if you thought you knew cats or even your own cat, there’s always something out there that we just don’t know. And, there are tons of fun and amazing things to learn.